Research staff can request a Campus Account and a workstation with IP address to connect to the University network. Clinical staff that need to search for literature can most simply use the computers at the libraries, or might request a Campus Account to access scientific literature.
- Campus Account Form for research staff
- University Workstation Manual for PUK Network (IP Address, Proxy, Software Server)
Frequently asked questions
1. Internet, Email and WiFi
- No internet connection available? Check the Proxy settings.
- Help with setting up Email.
- Read mails without University Workstation: www.mail.unibe.ch
- eduroam wifi access: please use email@example.com as username
- If eduroam fails on Mac devices: Go to Applications/Utilities/Keychain Access, search for eduroam and change Account to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Virtual Private Network (VPN)
- For antivirus software see University Workstation Manual above.
- IP Addresses that are not used for a period of 6 months are revoked, a new one has to be requested.
To have your staff page created and set up, contact the IT support team and mention your Campus Account login name. You will be notified as soon as it is ready. See the separate Editor manual page for help concerning editing any of the pages on this website.
3. Printers and Scanner
See the separate Printers page.
4. Software Repository
Most available software can be found on the software server. Some proprietary software may be without a license which can be ordered from the IT support team by email. Connect to the software server as guest without password.
Closer instructions can be found in the University Workstation Manual
5. Scientific Work
- Access scientific literature from any computer using WebVPN
- Information about Endnote and other reference management software
- How can I create a staff webpage here?
- The Neuroimaging group provides a linux 7x24 analysis server with remote login from any computer (also from home using the University VPN client).
Remote Desktop (Windows), rdesktop (Linux), ssh or PuTTY, sFTP with
6. Anonymous Scientific Data Storage
- Files and also anonymous scientific data can be put on Campus Storage. Request form and Campus Account is required to grant access.
- Campus Storage Manual
- You can attach Campus Storage using the command cstor, or remove it using cstore -drop
- Mac OS X: Press cmd+K in finder and connect to the URL above. Use Campus Account as credentials. To place a link from your desktop to Campus Storage (CS) by making sure you are currently connected to CS, hitting cmd+, in Finder, select 'Connected servers' and then right-clicking on the desktop icon of CA and choosing 'Make Alias'.
- Dropbox can be requested for international collaborations using the same form.